How an Emergency Dentist Can Help If You Have a Loose Tooth
An emergency dentist can provide the treatment that you need when you find yourself dealing with a loose tooth. A loose tooth is just one step away from falling out of its socket, so it requires emergency dental care.
Lost adult teeth that fall out need to be quickly replaced to avoid issues that often come up when a tooth is lost, like jawbone tissue deterioration, changes to facial structures, and the remaining teeth becoming misaligned.
Reasons that a tooth might become loose and require treatment from an emergency dentist include:
- Trauma to a tooth: A tooth might be loosened by a blow to the mouth that almost knocks it out of its socket; this might be the result of a fall, hard contact during sports, or an accident
- Gum disease: Gum disease is an infection of gum tissues inside the mouth, and it can damage the gum and bone structures that keep teeth in place; this eventually leads to teeth becoming loose and falling out if left untreated
- Tooth decay: Tooth decay can damage a tooth’s structures to the point that it becomes loose. This is often the case when tooth decay is left untreated
How an emergency dentist treats a loose tooth
Anyone who notices one of their teeth is loose should head to an emergency dentist immediately, regardless of whether the issue is causing pain. The longer that a patient waits for treatment, the more likely that the tooth will fall out. Treating a loose tooth is more straightforward than having to replace a lost tooth with a dental prosthetic, like an implant, and it costs much less.
The most common way for a dentist to treat a loose tooth is using a splint to stabilize it. The procedure involves using a splint to attach the tooth to the teeth surrounding it. This holds the loose tooth in place, giving it a chance to re-bond with the surrounding bone structures.
Loose teeth treatments
If a patient’s tooth is loose because of gum disease, the dentist might recommend other treatments to address it. Treatments that might be used to fix a loose tooth caused by gum disease include:
- Deep cleaning: Also known as root scaling and planing, this treatment can be performed before stabilizing the patient’s tooth with a splint; the procedure involves removing tartar and plaque from teeth, their roots, and gum pockets
- Surgery: If a patient has a loose tooth because of severe damage to their gum or bone tissues, a dentist might recommend surgical treatment to rebuild these damaged bone structures
- Medicinal mouth rinses: Prescription mouth rinses can be used to manage gum disease, enabling the structures around a loose tooth to repair themselves
- Soft tissue/bone grafts: A tooth that has been loosened due to damaged gum or bone tissues in the mouth can be repaired by performing tissue grafts
Fix your loose tooth before it falls out
Are you dealing with a loose tooth? Call or head to our Montville clinic immediately to get the treatment that you need.
Request an appointment here: https://dentistofmontville.com or call Montville Smiles at (973) 302-2079 for an appointment in our Montville office.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Emergency Dentist in Montville, NJ.
If an individual injures a tooth in an accident, an emergency room will be able to stop the bleeding but will not repair or even possibly be able to save the tooth itself. Therefore, once the individual can return home and leave the emergency room, the patient needs to call an emergency dentist. A dentist…
There is only so much that an individual can do to prepare for a dental emergency. No matter what preventative measures one takes, there is always the chance of an accident damaging the teeth. In other cases, an infection can suddenly cause incredible pain in certain teeth and require emergency treatment. If someone falls and…
Regardless of how well you take care of your teeth, it's easy to end up with a chipped tooth or, even worse, a cracked or broken one. That's because chips can arise from a number of mundane activities like opening a package with your food, eating hard crunchy foods, or accidents that lead to you…
Understanding the different types of dentistry services a general dentist can provide for their patients is important. While many people think that general dentists only offer general dentistry services, many also offer cosmetic dentistry services. Fixing a chipped tooth is both a general and cosmetic service.A general dentist is a very versatile type of dental…